Can be used on all types of windows and doors including uPVC, aluminium, wooden and metal profiles
20cm long restrictor restricts window opening to under 100mm
Can withstand forces over 1000N (1KN) although we always aim for 2500N (255kg) and above – industry standard is 50oN
The unit is lockable so the window can be fully opened if necessary
Keyless feature makes it easily accessible
Can be used on fire escape windows
Supplied with 4 self drilling screws
Locking system and key resistant to oxidation and corrosion
Locks without the need for a key
Tested to EN 13126-5:2011 + A1:2014
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents provides research that states that in the UK over 4,000 children under the age of 15 are injured yearly from unsecured windows which they fall out of, with 2,000 of these accidents involving children under 5 years old.
A small yet very effective and extremely affordable solution is the UAP window restrictor.
The window restrictor has a 20cm long cable, which when installed correctly will limit the opening of the window to under 100mm. Not only will this prevent children from being able to fit through the gap, but it also allows enough air to circulate around a room.
To comply with the EN 13126-5:2011 + A1:2014 test standard, the restrictor(s) must be fitted so that the total opening of the whole length of the window opening is less than 89mm when using as a child safety product, and 100mm for other requirements.
The window restrictor is designed to take a minimum of a 35kg load when it is pushed open. The window may need to have multiple restrictors fitted to achieve this requirement. There is no minimum or maximum dimension for which window can be used as long as the window opening is restricted to 89mm or 100mm. Fitting instructions can be found here.
The window restrictor is lockable, and can be unlocked using a key if necessary, and the window will then be able to be opened fully. Due to this reason, it is possible to fit the UAP lockable window restrictor on fire escape windows, provided that the user keeps the key within easy reach.
One of the important features on the UAP window restrictor is the strength of the cable once locked into the locking system. Some window restrictors claim that the strength of the cable exceeds 500kg. However, even though this may be true, it does not mean anything as it is the strength of the cable once locked into the locking system that actually matters. The UAP window restrictor, once the cable in locked into the locking system, can withstand forces over 100kg, which is more than enough to take the weight of any child. This is twice the industry standard which is 50kg!
The cable itself is made from hardened steel, which makes it extremely difficult to cut. It makes the window restrictor ideal for customers who are based on ground floors, and want to leave their windows open but are afraid that they may be broken in to!
The Keyless Window Restrictor is available in our most popular finish – white. Help prevent child injury and help protect your client’s windows with the UAP keyless window restrictor!
Safety Information & Disclaimer:
Please remember all our products are recommended to be used by adults only.
All our products contain small parts, and are not suitable for children as they pose a choking hazard.
Our products are not considered toys, and as such, all small children should always play only under strict adult supervision. They all have the potential to contain small pieces or sharp edges. If not handled with care or dropped on a hard surface, they could break.
If purchasing our products, it is important to consider their age and stage of development. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian/carer to gauge the suitability of our products.
On receipt of the product check that the cap is secure. Check weekly that the end cap is firmly in place.
The window restrictor consists of the following:
1 x 20cm hardened steel cable
1 x Locking system and plastic cap
4 x Self-drilling screws
1) You will first need to decide where on your window you want to put the restrictor. We suggest that you fit the window restrictor in the middle of the longest side opposite the hinges.
2) Take the locking system (C) and remove the plastic cap. To remove the cap, hold both sides of the plastic cap, and press down on where the key goes in (C1). This will make the locking system pop out.
3) Place the locking system on the window frame (1A) (it does not matter if the key hole is at the top or bottom). Mark the 2 screw holes on the window frame using a pencil.
4) Using a drill or screwdriver, screw two self-drilling screws (A) into the locking system to secure it to the window.
5) Take the steel cable (B) and place the knuckle end (shaped like a T) into the locking system already fixed to the window. Place the other end on the fixed window panel (2B) (making sure that the cable is not tight and has length for the window to open around 10cm – see diagrams 1 and 2), and pull the plastic cap away from the end of the cable (a bit of plastic preventing the cap from locking will fall out, throw this in the bin).
6) Mark the 2 screw holes on the end of the cable using a pencil.
7) Using a drill or screwdriver, screw two self-drilling screws (A) into the end of the cable to secure it to the panel.
8) Once both parts are secure to the window, check to make sure the cable fits into the locking system. Take the key (D), place it into the locking system and make sure it locks and releases the cable.
9) Lock the cable into the locking system and open the window.
10) This should allow the window to open either under 89mm or 100mm.
11) If everything works correctly, remove the cable from the locking system and attach the plastic cap by pressing it securely onto the locking system. On the end of the cable, attach the plastic cap.
At UAP we are constantly striving to improve on the products we already supply as well as develop new, pioneering ranges and practical product solutions.
With an in house testing centre and product developer, each stage of the development process is thorough, from the initial design right down to the final product. In house 3D printing technology allows for further and more precise advancement of our products which are then expertly manufactured and put through stringent testing conditions using in house test equipment – ensuring all products are designed to the highest standards:
UV Sunlight Testing Machine
Used to test the colourfast of plastic and anodised products, the UV machine measures the stamina of the window restrictor finish, testing how quickly it will fade in sunlight. It does this using UV lights which the products are left under for 2000 hours.
Tensile Strength Testing Machine
The tensile strength machine tests the resistance of a material to breaking under tension. It is used to see how well our window restrictors perform when pressure is applied to them. The products are attached to pieces of timber or plastic to see how well the fixings perform with the overall product, which gives a more accurate test on the overall product performance. Products are tested to 100kg and are in accordance with ISO EN16281:2013 standards:
UAP America Inc distributes a wide range of window security products, including window restrictors and sash jammers.
We guarantee the window security products and finishes against the following:
Surface Coating Failure
Coating Guarantee = the sooner of “the guarantee supplied for the door or window from the manufacturer” or “2 years inland.”
We guarantee that the window security products will not tarnish on the door or window for the guarantee period given above subject to;
1. The window security products are applied to a window, door or door panel, and no item of door or window furniture on the window, door or door panel are sealed or fixed using any form of silicone sealant or the like.
2. The window security product is fixed correctly and the right way around using the correct fixings, and are not scratched or damaged at any time during the installation process or thereafter.
3. The window security product is installed inland (defined as 25 miles from the coast or 5 miles from highly populated industrial areas) and are cleaned monthly with a moist cloth. At no point should any form of cleaning agents be used.
4. No claim will be accepted for any window security product that is scratched or mutilated or fitted incorrectly.
5. The guarantee only applies if the window security product is fixed to the original window or door for which it was bought and fitted by the installer. The guarantee will cease immediately if the window security product is removed from the original window, door or door panel.
Mechanical Guarantee = the sooner of “the guarantee supplied for the door or window from the manufacturer” or “2 years.”
We guarantee that the window security product will not fail mechanically the door or window for the guarantee period given above subject to the conditions outlined above.
Claiming Under the Guarantee
Every product must be inspected before they are fitted on to a door, window frame or door panel for any defects. If any defects are found then the product must not be fitted and the fault reported immediately to UAP America Inc. Any product fitted is assumed to have been inspected and approved as being fit for purpose.
To make a claim under the guarantee, UAP America Inc must receive in writing the product code of the item, the full details of the problem, the date the product was purchased, the date of manufacture of the unit in question and the address of the installation.
We will require all ‘faulty’ items to be sent to ourselves at the address below by first class recorded delivery post. We will then examine the item in question and confirm whether the item is covered by the guarantee. If it is not covered by the guarantee we will advise you, the customer, in writing of the reason for rejecting the claim.
Limitations of the Guarantee
UAP America Inc’s guarantee will be limited solely to the replacement of the item purchased from UAP. There is no liability whatsoever for consequential damages or costs, howsoever calculated or incurred. UAP America Inc will enforce and rely fully upon their terms and conditions of sale in all aspects other than the limitation set out above. UAP will also pay for the cost of the recorded delivery, if and only if, the product is deemed to be covered by the terms of the guarantee set out above.
Payment of the Guarantee
UAP reserve the right to discharge the guarantee claim in the form of replacement products at the customer’s normal buying price at the time of the complaint being received by UAP America Inc.
Time Limit on Guarantee Claims
UAP will only be liable for claims made within a maximum period of 10 years from the date of purchase of the products from UAP America Inc.
Correspondence Address for all Guarantee Claims
Any guarantee claim must adhere to the system set out above in all respects and must be made in writing to: UAP America Inc, 8 Marblehead Street, North Andover, MA 01845.
The terms of this guarantee may be varied by UAP America Inc at any time at our own discretion. Please see www.uapamerica.com for up to date product guarantees.